Friday, December 18, 2015

December Soap Club Challenge - Impression Mats

Impression Mat Challenge


Impression Mat Soap Challenge - "Peacock Pride"
This month's soap challenge was to use an impression mat. We could make our own or purchase one. I decided to use an impression card from my Cuttlebug to make my own. I made two, not knowing which I would like better One was zebra stripes and the other was peacock feathers. I used a latex product to make the impression mat, called Mold Builder, which I learned of from Soaping 101. It takes about 10 layers to make your mold, each needing to dry completely before adding the next layer. When it was completely dry and carefully peeled off the mat I trimmed it to fit in my mold.






The mica was then carefully applied. For the zebra stripes I mixed the mica with almond oil and painted it on the impression mat. It was kind of messy and then flaked off as I put it in the mold; which had to be touched up after the soap finished. For the peacock feathers I used the mica dry and applied it with cotton swabs. I like the look of the peacock feathers much better. It was time consuming, but I like how the colors are vibrant on the finished soap, but fade in places as well to give it depth.















14 comments:

  1. Love both your soaps, but the peacock is definitely impressive! The colors look fantastic - love the details of the feathers. Really fun soap!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both are beautiful but the peacock one is gorgeous. I can appreciate the Q-tip dry mica painting. It is tedious and it came out lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your soap(s) turned out beautiful! I love the whispy look you obtained in the feathers. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your soap(s) turned out beautiful! I love the whispy look you obtained in the feathers. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both your soaps are lovely. The time invested in putting mica on the peacock feathers really paid off :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had to look up what a Cuttlebug was. Very cool idea to make your own texture. I love the intricate detail of the Peacock, but the inner Zebra swirl is really good also. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Eva! I did like the inside of the zebra striped one too.

      Delete
  7. I too will be looking into Cuttlebug so thanks for that tip, and... Wow! That peacock design is absolutely beautiful! Try a paint brush with the dry mica next time, you might like it better than the Q-Tips. the zebra inside the other bar is a wonderful touch!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You really nailed the peacock feather! What a beautiful use of colors and a gorgeous bar of soap! Nice job on the mold. We love your soap.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another one here that will be looking into Cuttlebug (hoping it's cheaper than silicone :P ) Those peacock fethers are quite impressive. And so much work! Well done, Julie!

    ReplyDelete